Mar 4, 2012

3 Simple Ways to Enjoy Parsley

DSC_0627
1. Join the Blend Trend - salads are waaay more than just about lettuce.
Spice up that ho-hum dinner salad by adding a diversity of parsley- 
like the curly and flat-leaf (Italian) varieties.
flatleafparsley

curlyleafparsley
2. Toss on to your favorite vegetable soup-
DSC_0684
Or...

3. Prepare this simple, & oh so delectable Middle Eastern style tabouli -
DSC_0677
Slightly adapted from Epicurious
- 3 Tbsp wheat bulgur, fine
- 3 Tbsp water, clean, filtered
- 2 very fresh green onions, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 large handfuls of organic mixed curly & flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 c fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c your prettiest lemons squeezed juice
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 c romaine lettuce, chopped
In a medium bowl, add the bulgur and water, and mix. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. The water will magically disappear. Stir bulgur; set aside.

Meanwhile, start chopping the rest of the ingredients.
In a small mixing bowl, add the chopped onions, salt, and pepper; mix.

In the bowl with the bulgur, add the rest of the ingredients, including the onion, s+ p mix.
Refrigerate for an hour and serve on romaine lettuce.

Ok...WHY parsley? 
It's so abundant yet I feel it is somehow underrated. 
Most people don't realize its terrific benefits. 
Parsley is:
* Excellent source of vitamin A (healthy vision, skin)
* Excellent source of vitamin C (healthy skin, some studies suggest it supports a healthy heart too)
* An anti-inflammatory food (reduces inflammation, which is the basis for many diseases like 
cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis)DSC_0667
*For general healthy living informational purposes only. If taking medications or under 
   a physician's care, consult your doctor before making significant changes to your diet. 
   I'm a healthy lifestyle dietitian, not a doctor ;)



Posted poolside, from Hemingway's House in Key West, FL
Dream BIG!

Come on and say it!

  1. Oh I use parsley to almost everything I can! I love the flavor it leaves to food! These are all very appetizing food proposals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love parsley - or rather I love Italian flat-leaf parsley =) I've tried to use the curly stuff a number of times and I just don't like it. It's got an almost weed-like flavor, if that makes sense. Anyway, although I love it, I did not know it was so good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So appreciate your kindness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just learned that I love tabouli (I didn't appreciate my mom's version many years ago!). And you're posting poolside??? I'm a wee bit envious after the snow flurries today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Key West-lucky you, how I do miss Florida! I use italian parsley all the time, but I do need to incorporate the curly stuff more. Thanks for all the nutritional info-definitely a motivator to eat more. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow your in Key west :-) and love this post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi just found your site, I see you are in Key West at the Hemmingway House, are the 6 toed cats still around, it has been ages since I have been there. Love yout photos and nutritional info on the parsley, I like to use the curly type. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of 6 toed cats :)
    Thanks so much for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete

Come on and say it!